Thursday, March 20, 2008

DREAM ON!

My greatest dream is to be remembered when I’m gone. I wanted to make a difference and be recognized for it. I wanted to take part in the making of human history. I wanted to be famous, noble and idolized.

When I was on my fifth grade, I already have the same aspiration. I wanted my name to be printed on books, and my life to be honored and analyzed. As early as 10 years old, I began conceptualizing my dream of having a shoe that makes a person levitate and go in places he wants to go. I make a simple design after studying and researching on car engines. The design of the shoe was patterned on car piston, only that it could produce a hundred times of energy that is enough to set the bottom of the shoe on fire and lift the person up in the air. My dream of a world where people are gliding and soaring up the sky has always been a part of my childhood. I, as I remembered, dumped the Flying Shoe Project when my classmate marked my sketchbook “GEEK!” and I got pissed. My dream would just have to stay a dream after all.

Then I decided to get into Art and Literature. I enrolled in some Art Classes and stated painting different kinds of stuffs. Cartoons and Animes were much more famous by then so I would also draw characters on Fushigi Yuugi and Dragon Ball Z. I wrote poems and essays, and began my career as a writer. It took me a few days to realize that I wasn’t a good writer. So I came back to science and developed the chicken defeathering machine. It was a project in my Physics class that took me a year to finish. Just when I thought to patent the ‘wild’ idea, a friend told me that a huge chicken factory in town already had similar machine decades ago. Sigh. So much for the effort!

Then I gave up. Just then, I realized that there’s really nothing to aspire for. In life, there’s nothing much to do but to have fun. It is not about living up to the expectations set by others, and personal desires. What we may have other than enjoyment and satisfaction is a blessing that is worth treasuring. Einstein never really dreamt of being famous, has he?