Wednesday, March 19, 2008

BESTFRIENDS

I really get uneasy when my sister would call a number of girls she know her best friends. I think in every street in our village she has one. She has best friends in her elementary classmates, high school and college. It’s like she has three dozen of best friends. Sigh. I really do not understand why she thinks of having several ‘BESTS’. I mean, if it’s the best, then it should only be one, right?

When I am asked who my best friend is, I simply pause and think of how I could change the topic. For the longest time, I never really have friends I could call as my personal bests. I mean what’s the point? Will it make a difference if you call a friend your best and the others the lesser best?

It took me some time to realize that I do have lists of best friends. They are the ones who understand me and are always there in every course of action I take. Even if I disproved the idea of having multiple best friends, I think I myself am guilty of having several friends I consider the bests. Ironically, the people I tagged as my personal best are the most unlikely ones. One is my archrival. One is the person I once hated the most for being self-centered. Another is a person I often wage war with because of our contrary beliefs. And the last is the person who is so irritating because of her immature way of thinking. It’s ironic that the persons I thought I cared for are not among the list. So, excited to name my best friends? Let’s begin…

THE ARCHRIVAL

This is my best friend number one: Bryan Oliquino. He is a composer and an amazing musician. He plays a lot of instrument including saxophone, trombone, flute, and some cool percussion. I met him when we were 6. He was my classmate during my pre-school years and the rest of my elementary years. He has an amazing physique, white complexion and subtle moves that impress girls. I used to envy him. He is such a great man who had some childish affairs with some girls I know (I wont mention a name for confidentiality). He is a mathematician (which explains why he took up engineering in college) and a dancer. He was my rival in academics and co-curricular activities. He was the leader of the band (drum and lyre corps) and I was the SPL (Senior Patrol Leader) of the school’s Boy Scouts. We’ve got a lot in common like our being so in love with numbers and puzzles, being a part of the dance club, and many others. Not to mention our exactly the same final grades! Well, he end up having the 1st honorable mention spot and I claimed the spot after him. I was defeated because of the extra-curricular stuff… GRR… Anyway, that really doesn’t matter. We’ve been close friends ever since. It’s like we’ve known each other for almost our entire life. Even if the rivalry no longer exist, I still treat him as a foe when it comes to cracking puzzles and proposing activities for my elementary friends’ annual gathering. He is a friend who has been tested by time. The friendship remains strong and solid even up to now.

THE SELF-CENTERED

Meet my best friend number two: Louie Andrew Limjoco. If there’s one person that I really hate the most in our clique, I think, he’s one of the nominees (bravo!). I met him four years ago when we were First Year College. We’ve got a lot of differences particularly with our beliefs and principles. Louie is all-girls’ boyfriend. No one owns him… no one other than the girls in the clique ever have and ever did. He’s the current president of the Virgin Club, Never-been-touched-never-been-kissed Club and Single-since-birth Club. He usually rely on Zodiacs, premonitions, dream assessment, constellation, Tarot cards, Ouija boards, religious images, miracles, numerology, character prediction through names, birth date character assessment (including hour, temperature and wind velocity are considered), Chinese calendar assessment and even Feng Sui. His over reliance on these stuffs makes him really weird, especially in my perspective since I condemn these irrational beliefs. What I hate the most about Louie is his being egoistic sometimes. It’s like he carries a written waiver wherever he goes, stating that he’s not responsible in any way and any how. If something came up unexpectedly, he would often say, “I didn’t know…I wasn’t informed.” which is really irritating especially when he would say this nine times while he was with you. It’s like you are experiencing a worst case scenario and there he was couldn’t get a hold of his mouth and thinking of nothing but assuring that he wasn’t involved and he wasn’t responsible. Sigh. These things make us distant at first. We never had a chance to talk about serious matters until now that we’re in our last year of college. Truth is, I really didn’t know why I share to him things that bother me. I mean, it’s like suddenly, there I was with him sharing my sentiments. He’s the only one I ever shared my problems with, for really unknown reasons. It just happened… and he’s instantly my best buddy… (Rock on!)

Louie has an amazing way of captivating women. He has an inherently irresistable charm that makes any girl fall in an instant. Louie is very dedicated towards his work and his studies. He devotes so much time with each subject he takes and sees to it that he gets a satisfying grade at the end of the semester. He is a dependable friend to everyone. Eventhough his sense of humor sometimes fails with the standards of his barkadas, he is able to catch up and eventually make everyone laugh. He, even with his 'delayed intelligence' (term courtesy of Fr. DJ), is loyal and trustworthy. He never has forgotten the bond of friendship we have after he had to shift to another course because of an unfortunate reason. In fact, even if he no longer was a part of the Business Management Honors' Program, he sees to it that he still finds time to bond with us, his friends. He never has forgotten his very own tribe of Ulupong, his full-fledged circle of friends. That's a genuine proof of his loyalty and care for us.

THE AGENT FOR TRANSITION

And now for my third best friend: April Arcilla. Unconsciously, she created a lot of wonders in me. You see, she is so industrious. She has amazing time-management strategies. She gets the work done before the rest of the class do. She’s really astonishing. Truth is, I am following her footsteps. I was never good at doing stuffs but it was her who changed my belief regarding work. It was through her that I realized that I should excel in everything I do and that I should be concerned about time. I can never recall when she ever got late in class or ever submitted a project in delay. She’s simply incredible. Anyway, there’s more to Apz than academics… she’s an amazing musician! She plays the guitar really good, is addicted to PULP music magazine and has memorized basically all rock songs you know. Her being inclined in music somehow drove us closer. In my darkest hours, it was music that accompanied me and Apz suggested songs that suit me. She’s really good. But having her as a best friend did not start just as that. During the first few months that I met her, my impression was she was so studious… (which is actually true). I find her irritating when she would suddenly butt in with a “SHHH…” I hate it because when she would intrude in the conversation, happiness suddenly stops. Come to think of it, she really had a point. We weren’t listening to the teacher as we chat about stuffs. Well, that’s Apz, irritatingly concerned. I think she just wanted us to listen to the discussion. Haha. Love yah Apz!

THE IMMATURE

Chiwee…… does that ring a bell? Yeah… sounds like a bell, a chime or something after being disrupted by a subtle wind… Chiwee’s real name is Cherry Vie Saballegue, the class’ bunso. Chiwee is one of the most disciplined of the group. She would put socialization behind academics. Chiwee is a fragile person: easily abused and easily hurt. However, I wouldn’t consider her frail or something. In fact, I adore her being firm despite what is happening around her. She would always rise from the grave as if nothing happened. I remember when Jeff insulted her by forcing her to “GROW UP!” which really meant ‘act your age.” Chiwee cried out loud at me, angered by the way she was treated. If I were at her place, I would feel the same thing. What would you feel when a younger person told you to grow up? Tsk Tsk. That time, I really didn’t know how to comfort her. I, for one, am also immature in various aspects… and the words “GROW UP” felt like it goes for me too. I didn’t know how to react. Anyway, in as much as Chiwee is easily driven by her emotions, she easily forgives. She made peace with Jeff and I guess now they’re good. Chiwee’s cry-like-a-baby thing has always been an issue and the clique’s laughingstock. I remember Chiwee’s name is seldom remembered by teachers. In a roll call of attendance, teachers often still check their records to verify Chiwee’s name before they scream it out, when in fact it’s already finals and Chiwee’s been in the class for several months. LOL. Once, I dared to tease her about not being recalled, and I was surprised she cried. Oh, poor Chiwee. Anyway, for the breaking news, Chiwee found Carl as her very first boyfriend. Even if most of the members of the clique are not in favor of the Carl-Chiwee in tandem, Chiwee followed her heart and decided to let go of her circle of friends to prioritize her relationship with Carl. That’s a brave move from who they call childish. The childish member of the group thinks like a grownup after all. Better yet, she’s a lady in the making. Keep it up Chiwee… best friend…^_^