Wednesday, March 19, 2008

The bond of Friendship is an Illusion

written in a depressed mode..

For the longest time, I never had a decision I ever regretted… until now. I never thought giving genuine trust is a no-no. I am an independent individual, raised with the thinking that the world is cruel and that it would do nothing for me than harm. It was impliedly taught to me by the people around me. They gave me extreme amount security even up to the point of preventing me from being as sociable as others. My mindset was conditioned that in this world, the only thing I could trust was my self. I never complained when I had to be locked up in my room and forced to study. It has already been in my system and I am so used to it. I never really blamed my parents for being overprotective, in fact, I love the way they have done it. I learned a lot from them (riding a bike is an exception). As a result of their genuine guidance, I was able to become a self-reliable and competent individual. I became strong and goal-driven, even if no one watches my back.

When I went to college, I tried to let go of my beliefs and gave a strong trust to others. I was wrong. The bond of friendship is an illusion that makes a person vulnerable. I was one of its latest victims. I became weak and even stupid to show too much love and care for others, only to realize that they’re nothing but fakes. There are people who disguise themselves as good and caring just to win other’s trust. When they succeeded, they simply incorporate the real motive. Friendship inherently has a string attached to it. When a person is your friend, it’s like you have a responsibility to give something back… like some sort of obligation. For instance, if he has no assignment, you instinctively offer yours as if helping him is always good, especially since he is a friend. It doesn’t end there. Next time, he would again ask for your help on the assignment, until you end up getting involved with complex matters just to reach out. One morning you’ll realize that you’re no longer a respectable person. Your reputation is ruined by being so friendly. You end up doing stuffs that save your friend, even if it is no longer within the realm of the social norms and standards. The irony is that you don’t receive the same amount of concern you give. You’ll realize that you’re so stupid to think that he cannot be trusted. By then, you’re just a friend because of the benefit. From the very start, he never really treats you as a friend.

Having a friend never really offer a great deal of advantage. Some people argue that one is an island and people really need someone they can lean on in every moment of their lives. They’re right. Such theory applies to the majority since the most of the people around the world are weak. These people needed others to watch there backs and make them feel that they’re not alone. Who needs others when you can stand on your own? The only connection between us and the world is something impersonal… no emotions involved. We only show our emotions to those who are special- Family (and probably our husband or wife). The bond of marriage gives strong security that friendship can never have. Since friendship is not bound by any form of strong ties, an individual can actually lose some friends along the way. Where’s the security in that? Why have friends when you can lose them anyway in the long-run?

My proposal is that for every person to stand firm in his own feet and be solely backed by their families. Genuine success comes with confidence and self-reliance. Impersonalism rages in this cruel world. WE must interact with people with no emotions involved because it is the easiest way to achieve success. Emotions hinder us from achieving our true potentials and make us feel vulnerable. What do you say? Join me as we change the world!