Friday, April 04, 2008

Gabriel

Yesterday, I watched a movie entitled Gabriel. It was about angels sent to guide mankind towards what is good and right. There were seven of them mighty angels bound to fight the realm of darkness. Unfortunately, the first six failed to accomplish what they are bound to do, for they embraced darkness, got feared and deceived by the greatness they would have as the devil promises. The whole task was shouldered by the last angel named Gabriel. He tried to redeem the goodness in the angels and ultimately accomplish the goal of saving mankind. If I would rate the movie, I think I would give it 2/10. The movie, since I am oftentimes such a deaf, is hardly understood because to too much murmuring. I love the whole dark cinematography though. But the plot rather seemed.. uhm.. irritating. I was named after St. Michael, and I deeply honor his greatness to ever defeat the mightiest devil in hell. In fact, the street where I live was even named after him and I constantly pray for his undying guidance. The movie, however, depicted something else. St. Michael was portrayed as the greatest traitor of God. He argued that God’s reason for the creation of man was His selfish security to have people to worship Him. Gabriel said that they were sent to guide and not to rule. This was because St. Michael was overshadowed by greed, fame and power… and he considered having these as the ultimate indication of freedom and total separation from God. Sigh. I can’t believe the movie writers would ever think that St. Michael was a disgrace to the servants of God! Grr. I have nothing against the other Angels. I live across St. Michael and St. Gabriel Street (you guessed it right… my father and I named our streets from our favorite angels). Anyway, I just wish St. Michael’s prestige was not put into question.