Sunday, May 04, 2008

The Disappointed Granny

By Michael Arevalo
This morning, I went to Ateneo’s Registrar Office and waited for the release of my Transcript. While waiting, an old woman came in and drove people’s attention. She was disappointed upon seeing that the grades of her Nursing student grandson wasn’t as outstanding as she thought. Poor Lola. Tsk Tsk.

A funky granny on a blistering Saturday morn,
Stood with weight set on a rusty cane she bore,
Her ghastly velvet housecoat intricately worn,
Presume from unseen censer, she did outpour!

My benign behavior made me to thinking
Beguiling my sad fancy into genuine smiling,
What vital matter betook her into such willing?
To stroll across the hall alone and sighing.

At the Registrar she requested their support,
Grades of her grandson was what she purports,
In patience she waited as they plainly sort,
Pile of papers, unknown about what it’s worth.

Handed her over the file was what they did,
And gave modest granny a moment to peek,
Few seconds more and she began to feel weak
The AF’s and INC’s made her close to get sick!

Oh, poor grandma was left in disgust and grim,
Angered to her Johnny whose grades were failing
Fiery eyes, discreetly concealed, were but unseen
Her madness showed in no syllable expressing!

Then, her emotional outbursts were but controlled,
The old woman uttered her melancholic thoughts,
She startled the room’s stillness, rose my heartbeat
Her shriek and stridence shook me on my seat!